7.07.2010

Coracles, Bull boats, Curraghs and Currachs

I've been obsessed with the idea of building a tiny watercraft for one, light enough for a hiker to manage the load on their own.  I found out about Coracles and fell in love.  I then found that the Plains Indians of North America once made very similar craft called bull boats.  They'd leave the tail remaining to keep in the back of the boat and use it to tether two or more together having the lead one pulling the others.  Ingenious!

In my search I found there was not a page for bull boats on facebook so I made one and as I find builders or other videos I will share them on that page.  For now I have some fun links for those interested following.

The facebook Bull Boat page.

The Coracle society.

Conwry Richards is awesome and so is his site.

Conwry made the hide coracles for the Ridley Scott's Robin Hood.

Peter Badge's awesome book Coracles of the World













This one with Ray Mears is the best I could find of how to construct a bull boat.  Pretty incredible.

No comments:

Post a Comment