3.11.2010

Dried pepper sauce

I cannot get enough of dried peppers. Only smoked peppers beats dried, and they can be used in a plethora of ways.  Baked them into a bread or corn muffin to make soup companion.  Saute them into a sauce to make your marinara clear your sinuses.

Now depending on the kind of hot you are trying to acheive (I'm a firm believer that hots can be very complex) is how you treat the peppers and what kind of peppers you use.  I am horrible at organizing anything and labeling anything... so I often find myself discovering flavors as I go along.  For this sauce shown I heat up oil to enliven the heat of the peppers.

The basics:
1-4 tsp dried peppers
1/4 purple onion (minced)
2-4 garlic cloves (slivered)
1 pinch oregano Yes, that is a measurement I use, and hell that's the metric for it too.
You can add rosemary, I just forgot to.
1/4 tsp salt or to taste
drizzle - 1/4 c apple cider vinegar depending on your taste
drizzle olive oil for garlic slivers
and drizzle to taste after mixing everything else

I put the peppers into a little bowl, heat up a drizzle of olive oil. Cut the garlic and at med-high heat put slivers into the oil brown garlic for just a second, and once dark edges appear pour the whole thing onto the peppers... while the dry peppers soak up the hot oil I sprinkle a pinch of salt over it.  I take the purple onion and mince it, put into the bowl and pour in the vinegar a pinch of oregano and a little more oil.  Stir it up.  You can put this into a container or jar.  In the refrigerator the shelf life is pretty long and in the cupboard I would not leave it for more than a month before using entirely.

This sauce can be tossed into a pile of pasta, smeared onto a sandwich, put onto little crostini with a slice of cheese or blended with stale bread chunks to heat up your croutons (I'd add more oil for the latter).

No comments:

Post a Comment