4.18.2010

Strawberry Rhubarb Crisp


It rarely gets more simple than crisp.  Crisp is made of either crumbs of bread/crackers or a flour blended with oats, sugar, and butter.  You put this on top of whatever fruit you wish.  I like to make up an amount enough for about 3-5 medium sized crisps (each serving 4 heartily or 6 reasonably) and then keep that in the freezer and when I want a crisp I put a little flour over my sugared fruit, a layer of oats, a layer of crisp and another layer of oats.

I never use crumbs of crackers unless I've made them because I don't know what is going on in there otherwise.  I have used day old bread and think this is a favorite use for it aside from croutons and Italian bread soup.

The Crisp:

  • 1 Cup flour (I use whole wheat)
  • 1 Cup rolled oats, not instant (you can add a little steel cut pre-cooked oats for texture)
  • 3/4 C Light Brown Sugar (you can use any kind of sugar you like, I use light brown because it contains only a little molasses as opposed to dark brown, and still gives a richer sugar flavor with using less of it)
  • 1/2 stick or 1/4 Cup very cold butter (make sure the butter is not cultured, it is code word for headache/stomachache - Unsalted butters will often be cultured because it makes you feel like it tastes better when it is the fermentation creating the excitotoxin and salt is better for you than eating too much of the cultured butter) I prefer Kerrygold salted butter, and even their unsalted is cultured.
  • The spices in the crisp are up to you. What follows are the standard ones.
  • 1 scant TBSP cinnamon
  • 1/2 tsp nutmeg or more
  • 1/2 tsp allspice (depending on the fruit I'll use more or less when making bulk I opt for less)
*this recipe is the large amount that I store in the freezer for quick desserts each time I make a whole crisp I use a third or a quarter of this recipe from the freezer - putting the rest back for later. 

The fruit:
  • 1 1/2 C rhubarb (washed, diced into 1/8th inch coins)
  • 1 1/2 C strawberries (washed, quartered)
  • 1/4 C rolled oats
  • 1/8 C flour (I use whole wheat)
  • you can also add extra of any spice you wish
I wash, then dice 1/8th inch coins out of the rhubarb until I have a heaping cup or 1 and 1/2 cups (3-5 stalks depending).  Put into casserole dish without grease or oil I toss the rhubarb with the 1/4 cup loose light brown sugar. And top with 1 and 1/2 cup strawberries washed and quartered.  I then put a scant 1/4 cup flour sprinkled to top the fruit (this will help the fruit thicken and hold together).  Then a thin layer of rolled oats, as much crisp as you like, and a sprinkle of extra oats on top of that.

Bake at 350 for 35-40 minutes checking on darkness of your crisp.  It should be golden with dark spots and a lot of red bubbling sauce around the edges.


  I like to serve a smaller amount of the good stuff along with a pile of fresh cut fruit.

No comments:

Post a Comment